The History of South Eaton Meeting House
In 1840, William B. Towle donated a plot of land for the express purpose of establishing a house of worship. Also donated was a “goodly stand” of timber. Trees were “felled and hauled to Blaisdell’s Mill” in carts driven by teams of oxen where they were milled into lumber and then returned over the steep incline known as “Horse Leg Hill.”
Stephen Allard was appointed leader and oversaw construction of the church by area neighbors. Completed in 1844, the South Eaton Meetinghouse opened its doors as a member of the Free Will Baptist Society.
The South Eaton Meetinghouse stands today in pristine condition and maintained as it was in 1844 by loyal neighbors. Non-denominational services, weddings, and local activities are still conducted in Eaton’s only structure listed on the National Historic Register.
About the Reed Organ
The organ, built by the George Woods & Co. of Boston circa 1890, was given to our member, Rachel Ward, by Doris Ashton’s family of Ossipee. Rachel, in turn, donated this beautiful instrument to the South Eaton Meeting House.
The organ has recently been renovated by William Boulton of Moultonboro. The restoration consisted of first disassembling parts of the organ case to remove the interior assembly, then lifting it away from the case which had been built into the rear pews. The assembly was then taken to the shop where mice droppings and nesting were cleaned out. Reeds were cleaned and tested, and reed pan and reed chamber gaskets received new leather to seal them. The octave coupler assembly had several broken pitmans which needed to be replaced. The restoration is complete and the organ is now ready for our enjoyment.