The History of South Eaton Meeting House
In 1840, William B. Towle donated a plot of land for the express purpose of establishing a house of worship. Also donated was a “goodly stand” of timber. Trees were “felled and hauled to Blaisdell’s Mill” in carts driven by teams of oxen where they were milled into lumber and then returned over the steep incline known as “Horse Leg Hill.” Stephen Allard was appointed leader and oversaw construction of the church by area neighbors. Completed in 1844, the South Eaton Meetinghouse opened its doors as a member of the Free Will Baptist Society. The South Eaton Meetinghouse stands today in pristine condition and maintained as it was in 1844, by loyal neighbors. Non-denominational services, weddings, and local activities are still conducted in Eaton’s only structure listed on the National Historic Register.